Like most holidays, Valentimz (haha) has a wealth of activities. Here are 2 of my favorites!
Please contact me if you would like these files in PDF instead of images!
First, a little Dinosaur - see the upside-down hearts? Cute, eh?
I originally got this idea from Mailbox magazine. Here are scans of the blanks for the dinosaur and the hearts, both of which I copy onto construction paper.
And here is a bingo game, which I love for both language and artic. I printed out one board to make the cards. I have the kids pick a card and describe it and the other players have to guess which one it is. I always use Chipper Chat chips and wands - magnets are just so exciting!
I've uploaded 4 different board layouts, if you'd like to download and print them.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Sunday, February 7, 2010
This is my favorite book for Groundhog Day! There are so many great 'wh' questions and prediction questions.
After reading, there a are a few groundhog crafts and cut-n-pastes you could do. Or, doing a sequence activity (holiday or months) would tie in nicely with this book.
Here are the questions I ask through the book:
1. First I make sure they are somewhat familiar with what GH Day is all about. Then we talk about hibernating.
2. Why is GH reading "How to hibernate?". Sometimes we come back and review if that book helped him or not.
3. When is Columbus Day? Why is he brushing his teeth? What will he do next?
4. He set his clock for Feb 2nd. Is that how our clocks work?
5. Half past October - what will he see on the next page (I ask this preceeding every holiday shown).
6. It is Halloween- how do you know? (I ask this for each holiday).
7. After we've established that he gets a ride home, I ask for predictions about 'who' will give him a ride at each holiday.
8.Other questions - what season is it? how do you know?
9. What does "make yourself scarce" mean and why does the turkey want to do that?
10. Also after each line noting that "GH had never seen this before", I ask why not? We discuss how, for every winter before, the GH had slept through all the holidays pictured.
11. Why is he reading a book about gardening?